Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Yummilicious Granola Bars


As many of you know...I have a thing for creating healthy, but yummy recipes. I always try to find a way to make the things we (especially the boys) eat just a little healthier...maybe extra fruit or veggies or more protein. Not to mention safe for me to eat..I have food allergies out the wazoo!
I have spent countless hours looking for recipes that I can have, but usually come up blank. That is why I started creating them :)

Sometimes you just need a quick easy snack that has some staying power. Something that will hold you over until lunch or dinner. Heck! I even eat them for breakfast :)
I don't like a ton of ingredients. Less is more for me! I find that I don't have much extra time anymore (like most of you out there), and I need something quick, easy, healthy, and something that I can just grab-and-go!!

These Yummilicious Granola Bars are not only Gluten Free and Nut Free they are even NO BAKE!!! Even better, right?! I love them because they can be sooo versatile too!

Here's the stuff:
Dates: 1 Cup
Local Honey 1/4 Cup
Sunbutter: 1/4 Cup
Oats (I have used quick or regular): 1 1/2 Cups
Sunflower Seeds: 3/4 - 1 Cup
Hemp Hearts: 1/4 Cup
Chia Seeds: 1/4 Cup

Here's what to do:
  1. WASH YOUR HANDS
  2. Measure out your oats and sunflower seeds. Toast them in the oven for 10ish minutes on 325. Make sure and jshoosh them around so they don't burn. ***this is TOTALLY optional*** I just like the toasted flavor.
  3. While they are toasting..get your Food Processor, Blender, Ninja, Magic Bullet...whatever you have and PULVERIZE the dates.  (If your dates are dry, you may need to add a little water.) You will know they are done when they are mushy. Mine often rolls up like a dough ball.
  4. Add the Chia Seeds to the mush
  5. In a SEPARATE bowl, put EVERYTHING else. Doesn't have to be in any particular order.
  6. Add the date/ chia mush.
  7. Then add the oats and sunflower seeds
  8. Mix it all up. It will start to get a little hard, but mix thoroughly.
  9. While your baking sheet is empty, line it with Parchment Paper.
  10. Put you mix onto the Parchment Paper lined baking sheet.
  11. Wet your hands (this is really important because you need to use your hands to smooth out the mixture...and you don't want goo on your hands.
  12. Make it into a square (It should be about a 9x9x1/2 inchish (thick)
  13. Get a BIG knife and run it under water before you cut your pieces. Separate them from each other on the baking sheet.
  14. Pop it in the freezer to finish "setting".
  15. Enjoy!
This will make around 9 pieces. I don't know the dietary information on it, but it would be hard to figure out.
They can be refrigerated if you like them cool. Or even out if you like them room temp. They will be good for about 1 week (if they last that long). You could even make extra to freeze!

Change it up...make it yours!
You could use Peanut Butter, Almond Butter, or even Nutella instead of Sunbutter.
You could use any kind of nuts you like..cashews, peanuts, almonds..you name it!
Switch Honey with Maple Syrup or Agave Nectar.
Add Dried Coconut, Chocolate Chips, even add Vanilla Extract ..the options are endless!

Most of all have fun creating, and enjoy eating. MMMmmmm good!

This is about 1 1/2 of this recipe. 1 doesn't last us very long.


Yeah..So I forgot to add Parchment Paper on this one :)







 















No comments:

Post a Comment